www.nycsubway.org

Re: Richardson vs. The MTA (11952)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Jim K on Mon Aug 31 13:10:34 1998, in response to Richardson vs. The MTA,
posted by GarfieldA on Mon Aug 31 12:25:08 1998.

In 1970, I worked one summer for the Reading Company in suburban train service as a "Trainmen". The Reading Company had a program back then to hire college students to fill in vacancies created by summer vacations taken by the regular men. There was a height, weight and eye-sight physical exam that needed to be passed before you could be accepted as a temporary employee. As I wore eyeglasses to correct near sighted vision there was a question that I would be able to serve. I was told I could take the temporary position, however, I wouldn’t be able to be placed for regular employment due to the eyesight deficiency. I was told that although there was no place in the operating department, there were other area’s where I could be employed. I didn’t pursue the job as I accepted full time employment elsewhere.

My question, why must an operating railroad or transit system be required to hire people who are not physically fit? At 450 pounds, will Mr. Richardson be able to climb down from the train to the ground if the need arises? Will the health problems that accompany obesity be a detriment to the operations of his train and other trains, thus exposing thousands of passengers to danger?

My challenge to Mr. Richardson would be, don’t take the MTA court, challenge yourself to lose 250 pounds, thus enabling him to qualify for an operating position. Mr. Richardson, if you want to be a motorman as bad as you say, then make the sacrifices to make it happen.

I invite responsible debate and opposing points of view to my opinion.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.