www.nycsubway.org

Re: Age & physical requirements (was: Re: Richardson vs. The MTA) (11972)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by Dan Lawrence on Mon Aug 31 17:28:58 1998, in response to Age & physical requirements (was: Re: Richardson vs. The MTA),
posted by Todd Glickman on Mon Aug 31 13:50:29 1998.

In Baltimore there was an operator who was known to every passenger and fan that ever took his car - Tiny Martin. An operator out of York Road Car House, Tiny at one time weighed 475 pounds and still operated. Everyone else at York Road loved him, but hated to relieve him on the street, since the seat on the PCC's was all the way down and all the way back for Tiny but not for anyone else. Tiny had so much seniority that he got 3 weeks of vacation, which he always took at Christmas. He was the REAL Santa Claus - his belly shook when he laughed like a bowl full of jelly - no padding was ever needed.

When the cars quit in November 1963, Tiny had to go to buses. To do this, he had to lose 175 pounds and just fit in the driver's seat. He had a little apron made by the uniform company that protected his trousers since the steering wheel rubbed, even though the seat was always as above.

One group of buses had a glass window behind the driver. The first time Tiny got one of those, the seat went all the way down and back and the glass went CRASH!! BTC took the glass out of the other buses.

Tiny passed away in 1971 at age 45. The funeral home was jammed, and the cortege included 25 buses - for the Kirk Division operators that could go. I did have the honor of "paying him back" in 1970 when he visited BSM for all the times he let me run the car - we let him run a trip.

At his passing, a friend said "Now I know Santa Claus doesn't exist - we just buried him."

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.