www.nycsubway.org

Re: Richardson vs. The MTA (11984)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Steve on Mon Aug 31 23:01:13 1998, in response to Re: Richardson vs. The MTA,
posted by Jim K on Mon Aug 31 13:10:34 1998.

I believe that the courts have made an error in this case. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is now applied to discrimination due to physical characteristics such as weight, hence Mr. Richardson's victory. However, the judge who ruled against the NYCT has never walked a dark tunnel and seen the tight spaces there-in. At less than 200 Lbs, I find that when I have to walk between a train and tunnel wall, it can get tight. There are places where Mr. Richardson will just not fit. Sadly, the day may come when he may be called upon to evacuate his train and lead 2,000 to 3,000 people to safety. Will he be able to? Perhaps not. It's entirely possible that people may be injured or even lose their lives due to Mr. Richardson's inability to perform his duties fully. As Clint Eastwood said, "That's a hell of a price for being stylish." Sadly, judges can not be held liable, civilly or criminally for bad decisions.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.