www.nycsubway.org

Re: PHOTOS, PHOTOS-1980's Graffiti Era, Pre GOH-What do you think? (679501)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by GP38 Chris on Tue Mar 23 22:21:38 2004, in response to Re: PHOTOS, PHOTOS-1980's Graffiti Era, Pre GOH-What do you think?,
posted by Sir Ronald of McDonald on Tue Mar 23 20:06:07 2004.

Absolutely. Call me sick, but I LOVED the subway back then just as much as I do now. Besides, that's when I got into the subway, it was my "subway formative" years. Like Chris said, you never knew what would pull into the station. Especially on the Eastern Division. I had ridden everthing from the R16's to the R42's on the M in a one to two year period around 1984-1986. And then we got to watch the system metamorphis into what it is today. We also watch all the trains change too:
The R10's became green before disappearing.
The R27's-R30's went from gray doors with green walls to beige walls and orange doors (As late as 1984 I road many a freshly painted interior with that scheme - of course it lasted about a day). Then finally they turned to redbirds.
The R16's were still out in force.
The R32, R38, R40, R42 all went from being wrecks to getting the "blue door treatment" and then turned into what they look like today.
The IRT cars all became redbirds
The R44-46 were "The new trains".
The R62's started to arrive.
The R68's arrived.

It was a colorful time in history. So although the system was trashed, we did get to ride all the old and watch it all become new. Not to mention all the little things like original signs everywhere, original lamp posts, original railings, wooden platforms here and there, light bulbs instead of tubes, etc , etc. It was a very colorful system; we got our desire, the system is a class A system now, but a lot of it's "color" is gone - it has become more uniform (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.