www.nycsubway.org

Re: More bus renumbering (29038)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by David J. Greenberger on Wed Apr 4 09:58:44 2001, in response to Re: More bus renumbering,
posted by Pork: The Other White Meat on Wed Apr 4 00:41:26 2001.

That answers another question I asked: When were the busses renumbered to match the streets.

They weren't all renumbered at once. The M34 and M42 were, I think, the first to be changed. I rode the 79th Street crosstown to high school and junior high school, and for the first few years it was the M17 -- the change to the M79 (with a realignment of its west end -- it used to run from 79th to Broadway to 81st to West End to 79th back east; now it runs straight though the HHP circle and back out the other side) was probably around 1987 or 1988. The M86 came a few years later, along with (IIRC) the M96. (The 106th Street branch remained the M19 for a while longer.) I'm not sure when exactly the process ended -- in the early 90's -- but I think the M106 and M8 were among the final changes. Keep in mind that both of those numbers had been used for entirely different routes not too long before. Probably the route number that was recycled the soonest was the M18, whose new route intersected its old route (they actually overlapped for two blocks on Madison and one block on 5th) before it was cut back to Central Park North. (The M3 used to have two branches; then one was eliminated; a few years later it was revived as the M18.)

I also posted a list of renumbered crosstown routes for others' reference:

It's not entirely accurate. Today's M72 didn't exist in any form as anything but the M72. The M30 -- there was only one branch -- ran as it does today, but continued up Broadway to 72nd Street and then east on 72nd, terminating at CPW. That was the closest thing there was to a 72nd Street crosstown. The M72 was a new creation. And the north-south section of today's M57 was lifted straight from the old M103.

Responses

Replying to posts on BusTalk are disabled at this time.