www.nycsubway.org

Re: PHOTOS, PHOTOS-1980's Graffiti Era, Pre GOH-What do you think? (679327)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by GP38 Chris on Tue Mar 23 17:45:49 2004, in response to Re: PHOTOS, PHOTOS-1980's Graffiti Era, Pre GOH-What do you think?,
posted by Nostalgiaddict on Tue Mar 23 17:12:55 2004.

I agree, it always would look worse when I would get home after a trip, and then have to ride the filth again.

That being said, I also find a lot of comfort in those photos. Strange. They instantly bring me back to a very happy time in my life, my pre-high school, high school, and college years. When I see the interior of let's say the below train, I remember all the good times I had in those trains when I was in high school, going to college, and even trips as a child with my parents.

....sniff.....sniff......it's sick, but that really feels like "home" when I see that. It's amazing how something so disgusting can actually make me feel good. That look brings me instantly back to the time when I first started riding the subway by myself in high school. By the end of college, the GOHed R42's and all the others were back, but they still look like that now, so I don't have the same affection towards them now because I am used to the "GOHed" trains as you can still ride them today (although they were like new when I was in college).
And the photo above looks just like the R32-38's looked like inside when they ran on the M in the mid 80's. The R42's looked like that too, as well as the R40's. The R27-30's looked much worse inside (sort of like the IRT photos in his link), and the R16s were even worse than the R27-30's!
I hated them at the time, but I would do anything to ride one the filthy decrepid R16's again, the one in the museum "just doesn't look like I remember them."

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.