www.nycsubway.org

Re: PHOTOS, PHOTOS-1980's Graffiti Era, Pre GOH-What do you think? (680094)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by GP38 Chris on Wed Mar 24 21:06:34 2004, in response to Re: PHOTOS, PHOTOS-1980's Graffiti Era, Pre GOH-What do you think?,
posted by Nostalgiaddict on Wed Mar 24 11:10:40 2004.

YOu I think graffiti was it's worse in the early 80's, probably peaking around 1981 or 1982. That was around the time they started keeping the tiles in the underground stations cleaner, although the graffiti lasted longer at the express station's trackwalls. After that, they started keeping the columns in underground stations cleaner. I remember when every underground station had columns like this:

I remember sometime around 1981 or 1982 riding on the L with my father between Bedford Ave and Myrtle and being amazed that the tiles were clean, and the columns had just been painted in very bright colors. In the 80's they picked very bizarre colors. The Myrtle Ave station was a light pastel blue (columns) in it's first graffiti free color, and then it became pink at some point when the whole Myrtle-Wyckoff complex was painted a pink color! I guess they picked bright colors to try to brighten the subway system up at that point. I kind of liked it, now everything seems to be forest green on the elevateds, it's attractive, but every station looks the same.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.