www.nycsubway.org

Today's MOD trip (573287)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Next in Thread ]

Posted by Chris R27-R30 on Sat Sep 27 17:51:23 2003

I must admit that except for 2 moments, I was rather underwhelmed today. We started at Chambers St, with the D-types sandwiched between the steeple cab and a diesel locomotive. I made the mistake of sitting in the unit coupled to the diesel, and my clothes still reek of diesel fumes. We went up to Metropolitan Ave, then back to Marcy Ave, then down Broadway to Broadway Junction, then via the flyover to Canarsie. I wanted to sample the pizza at Armando's, but the lines were too long, so I went across the street to Blimpies. I decided to take an R143 ahead to Atlantic to get some nice shots of the new alignment. Almost on cue, as soon as I arrived it stared to RAIN! I did get some good shots anyway, sheilded by the canopy. The train was late coming from Rockaway Parkway, to the point where some of us wondered if there was a problem with the train. Thankfully, the delay allowed me to meet and talk to another Subtalker, Victor M. He didn't ride the trip, but he came out to Atlantic Ave to see the train come thru. Nice guy, with a wealth of experience riding the older lines. After the train came thru Atlantic, it ran to the middle track at Chauncey to reverse and come back to Atlantic to pick us up. Then we set off on what was obviously the highlight of the whole trip, our excursion into the Linden Shop. We were allowed to exit the train to take photographs from the trackbed! I felt I was back at Branford. Needless to say, everyone jumped at the chance and we all got down on the trackbed. Some people got yelled at for wandering onto the active Bay Ridge track we were parked next too, but this moment made the whole trip worthwhile. After we left Linden Yard we ran back to Broadway Junction where I decided to bail early. I'm sure Dave Greenberger and Chapter 11 Choo Choo will be saddened to have not been able to take advantage of the photography options inside the Linden Shop.

Subtalkers in attendence whom I recognized:

- Myself

- R30

- Chuck Greene

- Trevor Logan

- John "Sparky" Sikorski

- Flexible Metro

- Mark W

- T Broadway-West End

I had a close encounter of the boring kind with "Super Foamer" as I was looking at the great photos in Armando's during the lunch stop. I made the big mistake of telling him I was in the World Trade Center. The man's ability to baffle you with useless information is not soley limited to rail topics. I was told things I both did not want to or need to know about the WTC's elevator system. Needless to say, I bid a hasty retreat at the first available moment.

See you tomorrow!

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.