www.nycsubway.org

Re: About Glen Cove area situation(was elevator fanning) (537748)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by ntrainride on Thu Jul 31 00:20:04 2003, in response to Re: About Glen Cove area situation(was elevator fanning),
posted by Qtraindash7 on Wed Jul 30 23:28:28 2003.

"Yeah, this area has potential. But I fear it may never be realized as long as these old yokels keep holding back progress."

Well...there's always just so much that can be done, ever. Sometimes you can push, other times you can pull. Sometimes it just stays there no matter what you do. I think there are many other areas in Nassau that could use such planning efforts. For one, Hempstead Turnpike. It, along with Merrick Road are probably the best examples of how a suburb can "organically" assume urban characteristics. I.E., both are pedestrian-friendly commercial/retail/office corridors that are flanked by middle class homes. (And I like how the surrounding residental areas all have sidewalks. It's very pleasant to be strolling along the Turnpike and take occasional forays onto the parallel residential streets. Those side streets have remained in good shape. And the dichotomy of being a block away from the busy road yet walking past neat yards and shady trees can be refreshing.) Served by bus, or walkable distance to train stations in the case of Merrick Road. Major revenue producing arteries.

To let these corridors decay will have a larger effect on the County as a whole in comparison to the problems of Glen Cove and environs. I'd rather see more attention devoted to Hempstead anyway. The location is more central, it's much larger in population and scale. And there's also the issue of how Franklin Ave changes as you walk south towards Hempstead Village from Mineola. THAT is simply amazing. Franklin Avenue is the most urban street in Nassau County. I have no hard data to prove that. It has always seemed that way to me. The N40/41 service on it is pretty city-like. It's a good walking street.

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.