www.nycsubway.org

Re: About Glen Cove area situation(was elevator fanning) (537702)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Qtraindash7 on Wed Jul 30 23:28:28 2003, in response to Re: About Glen Cove area situation(was elevator fanning),
posted by MisterK on Wed Jul 30 23:08:30 2003.

I agree. Unfortunately everytime an improvement is planned, some NIMBY's always manage to squash it. Perhaps we could hire Nimbykiller to do some "dirtywork"! :-)
LIRR electrification and making Glen Cove creek a seaport would help tremandously. It has the potential to be like Port Jefferson. And bringing major stores to the downtown. Unfortunately sales in downtown still seem quite slow. I never see Sweezy's busy, heck, I never see more than 3 or 4 people shopping in there. The movies are empty, even on a rainy Saturday afternoon! The only people milling around downtown are usually groups of gangsta teens. :-(
Also the area of Roslyn near the viaduct is an eyesore. A revilatization was planned quite a few years ago involving a Stop and Shop supermarket, but was stopped once again by the NIMBY's, Coalition to Save Hempstead Harbor the main troublemaker.
And Glen Cove is building alot of senior homes where there could've been great commercial potential, like just off Pratt Blvd across from the police station. What a waste.
Also it boggles the mind why there is no bus service up Forest avenue.
Most stores in Glen Cove, and the area's 2 only supermarkets, are on Forest.
Clearly Glen Cove needs many transportation improvements.
Often my village (Sea Cliff) is one of the most vocal backward communities holding back development in Glen Cove. I remember well when the Foxwoods ferry was planned how Sea Cliff was "up in arms" about the supposed noise. Well the ferry is running and no one hears any noise.
Yeah, this area has potential. But I fear it may never be realized as long as these old yokels keep holding back progress.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.