www.nycsubway.org

Re: "Tunnel Rat" Responds to SubTalk Discussion on 76th Street Station (Queens IND) (432153)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by jt_bklyn on Fri Jan 10 13:46:04 2003, in response to Re: "Tunnel Rat" Responds to SubTalk Discussion on 76th Street Station (Queens IND),
posted by The Joe on Fri Jan 10 13:16:49 2003.

A BMT station on the northbound side, between Pacific & DeKalb? Ashland Place is so narrow that it would mean the station would be underneath the buildings along side, and in particular the Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM). That seems like an odd place to put a local station, nearby and between to major express stations. I did hear there were ramps built to allow the Fulton St. El to descend into the Dekalb Ave. station, so perhaps that's it. I'm sorry, but this part does not make sense to me, especially about the engineer committing suicide - seems like he was awfully hard on himself for this.

The rest of the article is impressive - especially if true. I have a Hagstroms map from 1941 and it shows the IND trailing off in dotted lines on Pitkin, I guess before they decided to have it cut north onto the BMT El. Seems odd to me that they would bother tiling the wall and then not bother using a station that was ready to go. Why would they bother finishing it? Couldn't they have just cut north from there and joined with BMT El?

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.