www.nycsubway.org

Re: "Tunnel Rat" show me the pixs and I SHALL BELIEVE (433684)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Larry,RedbirdR33 on Mon Jan 13 13:17:32 2003, in response to Re: "Tunnel Rat" show me the pixs and I SHALL BELIEVE,
posted by djf179 on Fri Jan 10 19:00:28 2003.

Difl: I did read your earlier post with much interest and indeed I printed it out. I myself made a post on Friday night which explained something of the history of the area and listed the pros and cons so to speak. Apparently the IND was extended to Euclid Avenue toegether with the leads to the Pitkin Avenue Yard. This was in 1948. What was also consturcted at this time was the provisions for two extensions beyond Euclid Avenue. The four main tracks of the Fulton Street Line extended at least to Elderts Lane and end at the bulkhead. There was also provision for a two track connection into the BMT Fulton Street El which also ended at a bulkhead. In 1948 there was no immediate reason to provide a Rockaway connection as the LIRR was still running that service and the trestle fire was two years in the future.

I wonder if the BOT was undecided weither to extend the line east on Pitkin Avenue thereby roughly parrelling and possibly replacing the Fulton Street El.(In a similar way that the Archer Avenue Line replaced the Jamaica Avenue El). It is intersting that provisions where provided for two extensions.

The most intriging thing about this whole scenario is what you have verified. That track were installed in the yard lead for about two hundered feet and there where switches providing access into them. Two hundred feet is a very short distance for a subway train and I wonder how much utility these short lengths of track provided. I could understand the BOT consructing some length of tunnel as provision for a future extension. This would have made good sense. But why install operable track?

Thanks for much good information.

Larry, RedbirdR33

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.