www.nycsubway.org

Re: A proposal for expanding the franchise system (long) (52456)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by ar on Sun Aug 4 23:52:31 2002, in response to Re: A proposal for expanding the franchise system (long),
posted by voiceofreason on Sun Aug 4 23:17:27 2002.

I'm not saying to throw the MTA out. I am saying that neither an all-private or an all-public system works. A hybrid system is necessary to provide the most coverage. The hybrid system would allow all three to expand by having the profitable services contribute some money towards the unprofitable public sector services.

Too often, people think it's public or private...this is not the way to think. It comes down to how badly you need the service and how much money is avaliable. We need new services in several corridors, but everyone balks at bringing in private carriers. I thought we wanted more service coverage, not just more civil service jobs.

If you read my proposal, it talks about a system in which private buses plug holes left by the public sector because neither sector can achieve 100% coverage on its own. 100% coverage will be tough together, but it's the closest we will get. Or, we can rely on a system that rarely receives tweaking to serve travel demand every 10 years, leaving us with an outdated system and no alternatives.

Read the proposal again and this may help to clear up misunderstandings. By the way, the B110 runs seven days per week from 6AM to 6PM every 15 to 30 minutes.

Responses

Replying to posts on BusTalk are disabled at this time.