www.nycsubway.org

Undercover Stilwell in Palestine (715830)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Elias on Sun May 30 13:21:53 2004, in response to Re: THREATENED BY UNDERCOVER NYPD AT STILLWELL AVE.,
posted by Jeffrey Rosen on Sun May 30 10:10:36 2004.

To me that is "disputed territory" won fair and square in the 6 Day War

Some threads have a habit of wandering.
Wandering nomads...
Well, That *is* the part of the world for wandering nomads.

So a history lesson.

Before 1948 there was no Israel, no Jordan, but rather a British Protectorate called Palestine.

After WW-II Jewish people from Europe and Russia emigrated there, and the British and the UN divided the land into Israel and Jordan. Jordan was *supposed to be the Palestinian land, and Israel was supposed to be the Jewish land.

So the Jews living in Israel bought up land from the Landed Classes of Palestininans and moved in. Those who as sold them the land relocated to Jordan.

Problem was there was and is a whole people of unlanded Palestinians who were left behind without land, job, or home. *These* are the Palestinians with which today there are conflicts.

that is "disputed territory" won fair and square in the 6 Day War

Can you win a land without also winning its people?
Clearly not. You may win administration of the land, but that only gives you more responsibility for the peoples that come under your administration.

I think that Israel has done a fairly good job with those Palestinians who have become Israeli citizens, but perhaps less so with the more marginal people. Deporting them to Jordan is not an option, though their migration there might possible if there were jobs, an economy, and a political welcome for them.

The Major Problem, as I see it is that they failed to Build Subway Trains. The Whole country is so small, that it could be served by a subway system not much larger than New York's. If there were subways, people could get to and from jobs in different neighborhoods. They could have mixed in better, and have become one people. But alsass, they did not do this in 1948 when the R-10s were new, and now those are gone, and with them their chances for peace in the land.

Elias (with as graceful an exit as possible.)

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.