www.nycsubway.org

Re: WMATA Train Lengths (498507)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by john on Tue May 20 21:44:11 2003, in response to Re: WMATA Train Lengths,
posted by WMATAGMOAGH on Mon May 19 23:03:06 2003.

I know about the car shortage but never can I recall seeing the number of cars per train fluctuate as much as it has. Generally, they do run sixes all day during tourist season on the Red, Orange, and sometimes Blue. But this year, I have been unable to predict the number of cars per train easily outside of rush hour without the help of PIMS.

Look at the big picture here, WMATA has fluctuating number of cars that are available for revenue service on any given day. The CAF cars are still likely not fully deployed and are not likely up to the optimum level of mileage between failures. There is a number of car that are out of service for routine maintenance along with the Bredas that are being rotated off the property for overhaul. You likely also have a fluctuating number of cars that are pulled from revenue service because of unpredicted failures. What is likely happening is the number of cars available for revenue service came up short on the day in question so WMATA deployed what they had. The next day the numbers were different and more cars were available.

John

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.