www.nycsubway.org

Re: Subway grade crossings (163640)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Jersey Mike on Fri Oct 27 21:21:40 2000, in response to Re: Subway grade crossings,
posted by chuchubob on Fri Oct 27 18:43:35 2000.

I don't think the expresses could coast for 4.5 miles. Besides I thought the trolley wires only lasted for 1.2 miles. I believe I have several pics of express trains with the poles up. Also the WJ&S did not own the Winslow Jct. route, that was owned by the Canden and Atlantic Railroad. Furthermore the Delair Bridge Branch was PRR all the way to VERNON interlocking. Anyway when the WJ&S electrified in 1906 it was owned by the PRR as was the C&A. I am not sure when, if ever, the WJ&S was a private company. Like the MTA, the PRR was an Umbrella funding organization for both the WJ&S and C&A. The Reading owned the rival ACRR. When in 1890 a war almost broke out at Woodbine Jct. over crossing rights it was PRR vs. Reading. It wasn't until the 1934 merger when the WJ&S and C&A identities were finally dropped, BUT I believe I saw the WJ&S RR listed as a part owned corporation on that chart in Wreck of the Penn Central. Old railroads never die, they just become wholely owned subsidiaries or leased for 999 years.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.