www.nycsubway.org

Re: Lonely Bronx Bus Route, Bx 7 Boston Road (88780)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Larry,RedbirdR33 on Wed Oct 8 22:25:08 2003, in response to Re: Lonely Bronx Bus Route, Bx 7 Boston Road,
posted by Bx New Flyer Artic Guy on Tue Oct 7 09:59:00 2003.

never knew there was another Bronx route that termintated in that area. I guess I never paid attention. But I do remember the BX 13 used to be the route that is now the BX 22.

There were two major system-wide renumberings of The Bronx Bus System.

The first took place on July 1, 1974 in preparation for the issuance of the first MTA Bronx Bus Map. It eliminated the use of letter suffixes in the route designations,i.e Bx12A,Bx12B, etc. The lettered route were either absorbed into the mother route or assigned unused route numbers.

Examples: Bx12A and Bx12B became simply Bx12.

Bx 5A became Bx54 and so on.

The second major renumbering took place February 18,1984 and had much less rhyme or reason. The Bx 4 Jerome-Bainbridge became the Bx34. The Bx42 Westchester Av became the Bx 4 and the old Bx34 163 Street Crosstown became the Bx 6. There was no route change involved so all that these redesignations did was to confuse the public.

Some route were combined such as the Bx 31 Southern Blvd with the Bx 30 149 Street Crosstown and this route was then known as the Bx 19 .
The designation Bx19 was first used by the 207 Street Crosstown and after 1974 by the Baychester Avenue bus.

If there is interest I can print the whole list but it might take me a day or two.

Best Wishes, Larry, RedbirdR33

Responses

Replying to posts on BusTalk are disabled at this time.