www.nycsubway.org

Re: Lonely Bronx Bus Route, Bx 7 Boston Road (88558)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Bx New Flyer Artic Guy on Tue Oct 7 09:59:00 2003, in response to Lonely Bronx Bus Route, Bx 7 Boston Road,
posted by Larry,RedbirdR33 on Mon Oct 6 20:30:54 2003.

Thanks for the information.

I never knew there was another Bronx route that termintated in that area. I guess I never paid attention. But I do remember the BX 13 used to be the route that is now the BX 22.

The BX 13 used to terminate at White Plains Rd and Pelham Parkway under the # 2 train. At some point it became the BX 22. I remember there used to be a very old rusted sign at the depot. It was round and the only words you could read it on it was "BUS STOP" but it looked like there was more on the sign at one point.

There was also an old plexi glass bus shelter that was rounded on top and looked like a part of a greenhouse.

As for the terminating point of the BX 7, the Korvette's has changed hands a few times. It's what you call a bad luck spot. Caldor's moved in, and went belly up. then KMart came in but they closed that store to cut their losses since they filed for Chapter 11. That was a few years ago and the shopping center is STILL empty and abandoned. To make matters worse, across the street is the entrance to a Pergament that has also been abandoned since they went out of business.

I also have a picture somewhere in one of my bronx history books that shows what the old bridge in that area looked like. Boston Road at that point had a drawbridge. But then I guess sometime in the 60's or 70's they built a new causeway-like bridge that was elevated so that there was no longer a need to open anymore bridges.

Just a little bit more of history.

Responses

Replying to posts on BusTalk are disabled at this time.