www.nycsubway.org

Re: How was it to ride the subway lines in the 60's and 70's? (92842)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by heypaul on Sun Feb 6 06:47:14 2000, in response to How was it to ride the subway lines in the 60's and 70's?,
posted by Christopher Rivera on Sat Feb 5 11:31:04 2000.

Another thing about the 50's, 60's,70's and even now, try to ride the system with wonder. I remember a project I started in the 60's. I noticed that the R1/9's were built by different companies. There was Pullman Standard, Pressed Steel, and American Car and Foundry. Fortunately, I did not have a list of cars and car builders. So whenever I rode the cars, I would go through the train and jot down car numbers and manufacturers. It was a mystery, and each trip brought some new information. I don't remember the results, but it was fun and interesting when I did it. Within recent years, I use to ride the Q when the R68's were on the line. On most of the cars, the Q was in a diamond shape on the side destination sign. There was a rare car with a bigger Q within a circle that seemed so much warmer and friendlier. I use to scan a train to see if they had one,and go into that car and kind of felt at peace. It was something special to me. Nuts? Probably sounds that way.

What's the point? Whatever intrigues you or speaks to your heart, follow it as long as it does you no harm. And don't let head knowledge turn off the wonder and beauty of your vision. Don't let the knowledge of why a sunset is many colored or why the moon seems much larger when it is close to the horizon stop you from enjoying a sunset or a rising full moon.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.