www.nycsubway.org

Re: More observations on the 2003 ridership figures (746588)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by Kevin Pacheco on Wed Jul 28 14:21:06 2004, in response to More observations on the 2003 ridership figures,
posted by Charles G on Tue Jul 27 13:30:12 2004.

I live in Midwood. Based upon personal observation, I'd say it's because of the changing demographics. Immigrants from the former U.S.S.R. keep moving in and displacing working families. Because these people receive lots of government assistance, there's little need for them to commute. In addition, because the neighborhood isn't trendy, you won't find many Manhattan-type situations where several working people share an apartment. Packing an entire family into a single dwelling unit (that is, even studios and one-bedrooms) is more the norm here, and maybe one or zero people in the household has a steady job. I'll bet that if this trend continues, an analysis of 1990 - 2000 - 2010 census data will show a large drop in earned income in these neighborhoods. There's also the fact that Kings Highway is no longer the shopping destination it once was. Instead of movie theaters and supermarkets, we've got drug stores.

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.