www.nycsubway.org

Re: Ham Radio - Sundays Mod trip (744227)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by JPC on Sat Jul 24 03:54:50 2004, in response to Re: Ham Radio - Sundays Mod trip,
posted by MetsFan4552 on Sat Jul 24 02:41:32 2004.

Yep... I just picked up the Diamond SRH-77CA antenna for it - man, 440's hopping when I put that puppy on. 2m is improved, but not quite as much. I'm thinking of getting a *proper* 6m/2m antenna - a mobile, perhaps, for base station use, since "rubber duckies" are always poor performers, certainly on 6 and even on 2. My low VHF (<120 MHz) performance, even with the Diamond, isn't spectacular, though I do pretty well on SW RX with the stock duck and a hank of wire hanging off the screw threads (even a couple feet helps, more is better, although you start overloading the receiver at some frequencies so there are diminishing returns). 222 is pretty much a novelty at only 300 mW, though I may eventually go for a dedicated 222 antenna since there are a couple repeaters around here.

It's a bit of a bear to program without the software (I might break down and buy it eventually), and some of the options aren't quite intuitive, but all in all I'm very happy with it. It's a great little rig - things like this weren't available at any price back when I got my license 10 years ago.

For the uninformed:

it fits in the palm of your hand...

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.