www.nycsubway.org

Chasing the IRT Rockaway trip 6/19 (long) (726095)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Broadway Junction on Sun Jun 20 02:02:00 2004, in response to Riding the IRT Rockaway trip 6/19 (long),
posted by Flatbush41 on Sun Jun 20 01:03:19 2004.

Boy did I have some people mixed up...LOL.

Here's my version:

Started out at 1:30, went to Chauncey Street to get my Fun Pass and got a huge ass bottle of juice (a 2-liter) and took the B60 to Fulton St for the C. Crossed over at the Hopkinson Av mezzanine to the Queens side and took an R38 C to Broadway Junction, where I changed for a Lefferts A (R44) to Rockaway Blvd. Not even 2 minutes later here comes the Far Rockaway A (R38) so I grab the window and ride down to Broad Channel, where I waited quite awhile. I hung around taking photos all over the place, and even left the fare control twice to photograph the entrance and an abandoned exit.

After about an hour or so a whole mess of railfans comes pouring out of an R44 A train and I knew the excursion train was coming, but unfortunately my camera was acting funny and I was only able to get off 2 shots of the train approaching and 4 of it leaving.

I decided to take whatever came first - either the A to Howard Beach (then walk back to the North Channel Bridge) or the S to Rockaway Pk. The S came first, so I headed down to Rockaway Park and photographed the train entering the layup track next to the station and got a couple pics from the end, exchanged some short words with some of the guys on the trip before leaving on another S to Broad Channel and then R44 A up to Howard Beach.

I waited at Howard Beach for a while, and saw an R-38 with a P on the front and then finally the excursion train showed up, got 3 shots of that going by and then I took the AirTrain to Federal Circle where I changed for the train to Jamaica. The ride was great but I still hated it. At Jamaica I ran down the escalators, powerwalked under the LIRR and ran down the escalators jumping down one to catch the Manhattan-bound E train. This E had messed up signs including Canal St and Coney Island and 2 signs were installed backwards (good job Jamaica Yard!).

P.S. what in the world were these three taking photos of?

Had I realized how long it would take the excursion train to get back to Manhattan, I would've stayed on to 21-Queensbridge and intercepted the train there and then walked back to Queensboro Plaza. But I thought it was moving fast so I bailed off the E at Roosevelt for the G to Queens Plaza. I stopped for refreshments then took the scary elevator up to the 5th floor of the parking garage and got a few shots of the N, 7, LIRR and Acela. Two R40M sets in a row went by towards Astoria but neither one came back. (One did eventually come back, but it just sat there on the curve, and then turned around and went back to Astoria). Finally the excursion train shows up and I got shots of that (was hoping for the sun to either set or duck behind a cloud but no dice, so I had to shoot away from the sun) and then I headed up to Junction Blvd in hopes of catching it depart but no dice, so I headed back down with some of the people from the trip.

Switched to the G at Roosevelt which was a very slow ride due to several "stalled trains" at 46th Street, 36th Street, Queens Plaza, and Court Square. Dunno what happened exactly but when I got off at Broadway two more southbound G trains showed up within 4 minutes. I meant to walk to Lorimer St but lost my sense of direction and accidentally walked to Hewes instead. Got a final shot, of a Manhattan-bound J with the lit Williamsburg Bridge and the HSBC building, then caught the Queens-bound J to Norwood where I went to Wendy's and finally took another J back home to Chauncey, but not before seeing a train with J signs on the front and back (but was dark) fly through the station at full speed, without slowing down or even blowing the horn.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.