www.nycsubway.org

Re: Van Cortlandt Park (695353)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Howard Fein on Fri Apr 23 11:36:18 2004, in response to Re: LUNCH (Re: March of Dimes Excursion, Sunday, April 25, 2004),
posted by Newkirk Plaza David on Fri Apr 23 11:20:25 2004.

Van Cortlandt Park also has, for those Subtalkers who don't already know from this or Forgotten NY, the old NYRR Putnam line ROW running through it. When last I was there a year ago, part of the station (yes, right in the middle of the park) canopy's skeleton is still there. So is a bridge over the lake. While the rail and ballast are long gone, the bridge's infra-structure is still very evident.

To reach this, you walk east directly from the subway terminal past the Van Cortlandt Mansion, into a wooded area and through a tunnel under the old ROW. If it's rained anytime in the last month, the path up to the ROW tends to be muddy.

There are restrooms of varying cleanliness in two Parks Department buildings very close to the subway entrance and mansion, which doubles as a museum. The diner on Broadway has bathrooms, but they tend to get very nasty if you try to use one and don't order 'enough'- let alone not order anything! I learned this the hard way. after purchasing a drink so I could use it: "You're supposed to sit at a table and order FOOD!"

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.