www.nycsubway.org

Re: PHOTOS, PHOTOS-1980's Graffiti Era, Pre GOH-What do you think? (680110)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by GP38 Chris on Wed Mar 24 21:29:42 2004, in response to Re: PHOTOS, PHOTOS-1980's Graffiti Era, Pre GOH-What do you think?,
posted by rpanseshutterbug on Wed Mar 24 07:08:56 2004.

I absolutely HATE graffiti, but I don't know why I was so drawn to the photos. I guess it's not necessarily the trains that make me interested in them, but more the point in my life that they represented. I was so happy when the system was cleaning up, but I can't sweep under the rug what they looked like when I first started to ride. I probably rode the subway more during that period, and immediately after than any other time of my life.
I do agree though, it was embarrasing at the time. I remember having European relatives visiting back then, and being mortified when we had to take the subway.
It was a piece of the history though, and can't be forgotten no matter how we all would like to. For almost two decades, those trains in that condition rode through the same stations we wait at today. It's as much a part of the history of the subway system as the BMT Standards themselves are. Actually, I don't know why the MTA tries so hard to forget it ever happened, they should be proud that they took a system that looked like that and turned it into the great system we have today. It's a major accomplishment, and they should be proud they did it.

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.