www.nycsubway.org

Re: PHOTOS, PHOTOS-1980's Graffiti Era, Pre GOH-What do you think? (679735)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Far Rockaway A Train on Wed Mar 24 12:22:33 2004, in response to Re: PHOTOS, PHOTOS-1980's Graffiti Era, Pre GOH-What do you think?,
posted by rpanseshutterbug on Wed Mar 24 07:08:56 2004.

Certainly some railfans were ashamed of them. I thought it was the worst thing I had ever seen. However you have a lot people on this board who were either not born or did not reside in the NYC area during those time, thus they have absolutely no clue about how things were. Just read all of the postings regarding, not just the pictures that I posted, but also the postings under the Re "1980s Service Pattern" (which inspired me to post these pictures).

It is an important part of history that should not be forgotten-every aspect of it-how it started, the duration period, and the ending.

TA management seems to be, in my opinion doing just that. In the 70s, after awhile, the TA just stopped cleaning and washing the cars altogether. We all know the rest. Well, in the last couple of months, I have noticed some very nasty trains on the "A" and it is not just the floors. The windows are a horror. First you had the scratchitti. Now you have this white milky substance ON TOP OF the scratchitti and it is all over every inch of glass on those trains. The R44s are even worse because it is not just on the windows, it is all over the glass partitions throughout the cars-as far as I am concerned, its graffiti all over again. The TA does not clean these cars as all and it is just foul. The cars that come out of Coney Island (especially the R68As) are a mess as well. Those trains are so filthy, they are black.

Evidently the TA management forgot that part of history and if not careful, history can have a way of repeating itself all over again.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.