www.nycsubway.org

Re: WMATA Destination Codes (670585)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by john on Sun Mar 7 09:50:18 2004, in response to Re: WMATA Destination Codes,
posted by R6 on Sun Mar 7 02:03:47 2004.

John, you ROCK! And not just because we share a first name either. Thanks, man!

Hm... not as envisioned, but as suspected. While each code controls both destination and route (I figured you just programmed whatever destination, and chose your color separately), there is MUCH mixing between the four "shared" routes (Orange/Blue/Yellow/Green)

The destination codes have always controlled both signs and interlocking routing. In most cases destination codes are automatically selected at the terminal of origin and transmitted to the train using the train to way side communication part of the train control system based on the scheduled time table programmed in to the (ATS) Automatic Train Supervision part of the train control system.

REAGAN NAT APT? WHAT??? I recall seeing "NATIONAL AIRPORT" in 2002, which was STILL after the renaming...

All of the hardware may not reflect what is in the destination code table that I posted and or the spellings may have been altered by my source.

Hm... Takoma, Dupont Circle, and (surprisingly) Pentagon (City) are missing... But NY Ave is there, and it hasn't been mentioned as a terminal station... WhyMATA???

I noticed that as well. There are a number of destination that were omitted that once appeared on the roll signs Takoma (B07) and Dupont Circle (A03) and Pentagon City (C08) as you mentioned. Other are Bethesda (A09), Freindship Heights (A08), Judiciary Square (B02), Wheaton (B10), McPherson Square (C02), Foggy Bottom-GWU (C04), Braddock Road (C12), Gallery Place (F01), Navy Yard (F05) to name the one I remember. New York Avenue (B97) will likely end up being a short turn terminal on the B end of the Red Line mush like Farragut North (A02) and Grosvenor (A11) are short turn terminal on the A end of the Red Line.

Shocking to see omitted: Friendship Heights, Wheaton, L'Enfant Plaza, King Street. Also, Dulles is on there already, despite them missing the stations with potential terminal usage that'd likely open BEFORE Dulles (unless they do that entire line a fas as Dulles at once, as they are doing with the Blue now)... WMATA is VERY focused on the future.

I think these were omitted because there are no plans to use them as short turn terminal. Dulles Airport (M11) has always been in the destination code table. Dulles Airport was on the roll signs when the Rohr cars were shipped from the manufacture back in the 1974

Oh, and WMATA STILL sticks with "VIENNA"... they CAN fit "-Fairfax" at least, right... wait, then no bordering stripes... "VIENNA-FRX", perhaps?

What can I say.

John

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.