www.nycsubway.org

Re: About Glen Cove area situation(was elevator fanning) (538351)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by MisterK on Thu Jul 31 22:56:15 2003, in response to Re: About Glen Cove area situation(was elevator fanning),
posted by NIMBYkiller on Thu Jul 31 07:37:08 2003.

“An Oyster Bay-Rye Tunnel would do the job much better”

You’re right about OB-Rye tunnel for one thing. It could extend the cross Westchester rail line to LI. Imagine that! Oyster Bay or Mineola to Stewart Airport via LI Sound, NOT NYC!!!! As for the roadway part of it, I’ve got plans for that drawn up too(as much as I hate roadway expansion, I think this one is a good idea, along wit possibly Wading River-New Haven bridge). I-287 continues to Glen Cove. Once in Glen Cove, there are exits to Port Washington(West Shore Rd. to be exact) and Some major St. in Glen Cove. Then, it continues to the Seaford OB Expressway, where they connect and you get the picture from there.

Uh...You may need a refresher course on North Shore geography there. Glen Cove is considerably west of Oyster Bay, and Port Washington is a few miles (and a harbor) further away than that. The proposed route is from Rye to Oyster Bay then continuing southest through Oyster Bay Cove and Syosset before hooking up with the existing NY 135. The route wouldn't serve Glen Cove directly, but if there were an exit in Oyster Bay (say to NY 106 and/or the route through Mill Neck) that would still go a long way towards making Glen Cove less isolated. It would do nothing for Port Washington, which is isolated in its own way (in the middle of Manhasset Neck.)

Should the bridge or tunnel ever get built, I think it should become part of I-86 (by multiplexing it with I-87), thus taking that route all the way from Lake Erie almost to the Atlantic Ocean.

:-) Andrew

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.