www.nycsubway.org

Re: About Glen Cove area situation(was elevator fanning) (537692)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by MisterK on Wed Jul 30 23:08:30 2003, in response to About Glen Cove area situation(was elevator fanning),
posted by Qtraindash7 on Mon Jul 28 21:14:23 2003.

The Glen Cove area has tremendous potential. It is set in a beautiful area, full of lovely wooded, rolling hills and cliffs overlooking the sound and Hempstead Harbor. It's also really not far from New York City, and with electrified LIRR serivice the trip would be really quick. It also has an honest-to-goodness downtown area, which could really come alive if it were less isolated, and which is nonetheless far from depressed even as it is.

The city government, one of only two in Nassau County (Long Beach is the other) helps to assure that services aren't overlapping, and may help to keep taxes down. Certainly the home-rule assures good services (such as snow removal.) And that's nothing to sneeze at! Living in the unincorporated Hamlet of Levittown in the gigantic Town of Hempstead assured that it was more than a week after the blizzard of 1995-96 'till my street was cleared!

I concur that the Oyster Bay Branch should be electrified. I also concur that ferry service should be reinstated to Manhattan. I'd consider also adding a high-speed ferry to Mamaroneck or Rye. Glen Cove would really take off if it were on the way to somewhere, and provided a decent alternative to NYC.

:-) Andrew

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.