www.nycsubway.org

BLUE MAIDEN wasRe: Lower 42 Street (309693)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by avid reader on Thu Jan 10 10:24:00 2002, in response to Re: Lower 42 Street,
posted by Steve B-8AVEXP on Thu Jan 10 08:57:37 2002.

Yes , there was a stairway down to the lower level from the upper level platform there too! It was sealed up about three of four years ago. I think they laid corragated metal across the top and poured concret. If needed again, it could be restored. The ceiling above shows the strutureral outline for a stairway that was either closed or never used. From what the ceiling shows and the platform reveals from the slightly different concret, a strairway from the mezzanine to the upper level platform, walk around to the back of the stairs and desend to the lower level. A lot of stations had preplanned positions for additional stairways.
If and when the tile is laid on the upper level platform, traces of the stairs to the lower level will be lost to the casual eye.
This may be a Kodak Moment to capture if the new tile floor has not been laid yet.
As of last August, I changed my pattern of commuting, so I rarely get to 42nd St. on the 8th Ave line. Back then rehab work was beginning to get ready for new wall tile, floor tile and what ever else was contracted for. On the Mezzanine there was a babe that painted herself light blue with a sprinkle of sparkle dust. She stood motionless like a statue, then would move slightly. Anyone else see the BLUE MAIDEN?
Now, with station re-hab and renovation a lot of stairs have been removed. 14th street comes to mind as one victim of stair lose.
Sounds like a genetic malady. Stair lose.

avid

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.