www.nycsubway.org

Re: Lower 42 Street (308471)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Peter Dougherty on Tue Jan 8 11:34:26 2002, in response to Re: Lower 42 Street,
posted by Todd Glickman on Tue Jan 8 11:03:53 2002.

Under everything.

Here's the story.

The upper level of the IND is about 30 feet deep; lower level 45 feet deep; #7 IRT 60 feet deep. Even if the measurements are off by ten feet, there's still plenty of room to make a small dip under.

Hi Folks,

Well, I'm afraid I have to disagree with this depth issue at Lower 42nd. I remember when this discussion raged here on this site about a year ago. I wrote to a TA contact I had at that time and he did some investigation with various departments within the TA.

The upshot of it is that the stations are very close in relative depths. I quote from my source:

The results were the platform at D3 at 42 Street is 41 feet six inches below street level (not sidewalk level). Add 4 feet to track level, another couple of feet for support structure below. Times Square platform is 49 feet below street level.

This latter number I independently verified against the emergency exit locations. The emergency exit on W41 St, 490 feet east of TSq, between Broadway and 6 Ave is 52 feet from the sidewalk to the "tracks." (It's 177 feet west of 6 Ave.) For the sake of comparison, emergency exits on 8th Ave at 47th St and at 37 St are 24 to 26 feet deep. The exit at 55 St which also services the lower level (ABCD) comes in at 47 feet.

So it looks like the Hylan theory might still have a bit of life left in it < grin >.

Cheers,
PJ Dougherty

Publisher,
Tracks of the NYC Subway
VERSION 3 NOW AVAILABLE!

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.