www.nycsubway.org

MOD 7/24/04 Prelim Report (744415)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Next in Thread ]

Posted by JPC on Sat Jul 24 19:40:45 2004

Just got back from the MOD trip a little while ago...

The train pulls into 59th/CC not too long after the scheduled time (10 mins late or so), boarding from the non-revenue-service center platform. Once we're on the train and underway, Bill Wall informs us that due to numerous GOs on the Eastern Division, we will not be able to ride the J. Instead:

Down to W4th via the 6th Ave line.

Over Manny B North Side, and from there down the Brighton to Stillwell (lunch stop). At Church Ave we were permitted to board the BU cars, and at 9th Ave we dropped off the Arnines to ride the BUs solo. First photo run between 9th Ave and Ocean Parkway.

Then back up via the West End, making 4 photo runs back and forth between 62nd and 9th Ave.

At 9th Ave we reconnected with the Arnines, and rode the Arnines back into Manhattan (dropoff stops: 36th, Pacific, W4th, 34th/6th, terminating at 59th/CC).

A few high points:

Going over Manny B outbound: An R-32 Q train on the south side!

At Stillwell: Orange Q! On one of the side rollsigns. I searched for any signs, but no such luck.

After leaving the excursion train, while waiting for my uptown 1 at 59th, guess what goes by on the express track, but a consist of REDBIRDS!!!! REDBIRDS!!!! I didn't catch the car numbers since I wasn't paying close attention. Sorry :(

A story from Fred G about being harassed by MNRR police on the way down for photography. So far as I know there were no railfan/police clashes at Stillwell (a welcome surprise). The results of an informal voice poll were strongly in disfavor of the photo ban :)

Many shocked faces of geese upon seeing not only ARNINES, but WOODEN BU CARS! The facial expressions alone are more than worth the $40.

A couple of the usual foamers

A relatively small (but proud and elite) SubTalk contingent

And a very special guest: Our very own BROADWAY LION, Elias! it was great to finally meet him in person after all our conversations online. And yes, the lion came for a ride too :)

Group pics were taken and will be entered into the public record for your perusal, enjoyment, and shock and awe.

There should be loads of great pics coming soon.... :)

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.