www.nycsubway.org

Re: THREATENED BY UNDERCOVER NYPD AT STILLWELL AVE. (715805)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Jeffrey Rosen on Sun May 30 11:55:57 2004, in response to Re: THREATENED BY UNDERCOVER NYPD AT STILLWELL AVE.,
posted by David of Broadway on Sun May 30 11:34:31 2004.

["I'd like to see the NYPD to increase its enforcement against those who run red lights..."]

The NYPD ALWAYS tried to have maximum enforcement against red lights. The problem is the cops do not like writing red light summonses. It is sort of a labor-mngment thing. Cops see not writing red lights as sort of a protest against bad contracts and low pay. Sort of a wildcat thing, not sanctioned by the PBA. Cops who write red lights are frowned upon by other cops.
Add to that that the NYPD in their infinate wisdom actually writes up (disciplines) cops that lose a number of red light cases at traffic court. Why write a red light summons and chance getting in trouble if you don't have to?
The city actually gets federal money related to the number of red lights written. During my whole career with the NYPD the job offered red light overtime where you come in on an RDO and write about 10 red light summonses plus 10 others. It was actually hard to give away those OT slots. However I did many a red light OT tour before getting promoted to sergeant.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.