www.nycsubway.org

Re: THREATENED BY UNDERCOVER NYPD AT STILLWELL AVE. (715155)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by BrooklynBus on Fri May 28 20:24:09 2004, in response to Re: THREATENED BY UNDERCOVER NYPD AT STILLWELL AVE.,
posted by David of Broadway on Thu May 27 22:12:15 2004.

There's one at Brown Place and 69th Street in Middle Village that can't be more than three-quarters of a second long (for Brown Place that is). It turns red just barely after it turns amber. (Once or twice I blinked and actually didn't even see it. All I saw was green, then red.)

There's another one at 51st Avenue and Queens Blvd that is also under a second. It is a very wide crossing. I've entered that one on a green signal going at 20 mph and see it turn amber and red just before I get three quarters of the way through the intersection. Going at 35 mph, 5 mph above the speed limit, the amber barely lasts through the intersection if it happens to turn amber as you pass the crosswalk. And if it turns amber a few feet before the crosswalk, you have to slam on the brakes and then back up to not go through if you're going 30. Otherwise the light turns red by the time you get half way through. And they wonder why that intersection is one of the most dangerous in the city (in the top ten).

Luckily there is no camera at either corner.

Most of the intersections I see in NY, the amber is 2 seconds long. Usually it's 3 seconds only on streets such as Woodhaven Blvd where the speed limit is 35 mph, not 30. There are a few other exceptions.

Last year there was a story on TV that some city, I think in Virginia or Maryland where one red light camera raked in several million dollars a year in revenue. Someone who received a ticket timed the ambers on the street and found out that every amber was 4 seconds long except the corner with the camera where it was only 3 seconds. Speed trap or what? He sued seeking the city to refund all the fines. All they did was cut the amber from to 3 seconds on the other corners and said it was an "oversight" why that corner was a second less. If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

If the amber length supposed to be based on the speed limit, the one out of line should have been increased, not all the others decreased. That alone shows they were lying and it wasn't an "oversight." Not only should the fines have been refunded, someone at City Hall should have been prosecuted. Lots of luck.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.