www.nycsubway.org

Re: THREATENED BY UNDERCOVER NYPD AT STILLWELL AVE. (713608)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by Fred G on Wed May 26 00:04:15 2004, in response to Re: THREATENED BY UNDERCOVER NYPD AT STILLWELL AVE.,
posted by Jeffrey Rosen on Tue May 25 19:45:40 2004.

I would think it would be pretty easy to beat a photography summons but that doesn't mean the cop doesn't have a right to ask you to stop. It could be for safety reasons. There are guns disguised as cameras. Also one might be blocking pedestrian's paths, etc.

Yes, of course, I agree that interfering with passenger/train operation should be dissuaded; most of us railfans adhere to those cardinal rules of subway/rail photography, where we strictly stay out of the way, as I'm sure Harry and Mark were doing.
As far as appearing in court, for traffic violations the cop has to appear. For criminal court summonses I think if the violator shows up and pleads not guilty, the judge gives another date and the officer must appear. It doesn't happen much as the fines for criminal court summonses is usually $20 or even just a warning so most people don't bother fighting them. Officers NEVER appear for parking summonses.

Thanks for your thorough reply; the civil disobedient in me says that fighting the ticket in person is the way to go. After enough time and money are spent enforcing any law, common sense will separate the necessary from the unnecessary laws. I think this is the case anyway.

Your pal,
Fred

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.