www.nycsubway.org

Re: Platform extension tiles (708335)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by GP38 Chris on Mon May 17 07:20:08 2004, in response to Re: Platform extension tiles,
posted by American Pig on Mon May 17 03:38:17 2004.

I don't mind the tiles so much except that they're completely inconsistent with the original station tiles

I sort of agree. While I don't really like the green tiles at stations like Bleecker, etc, if you carry that over to the "cement block" or refrigerator tile that was installed over the mosaics on Broadway line or the 4th AVe line in Brooklyn, I do agree. Personally, I really do like the look of the cement block tile. My "dislike" of it always had to do more with the fact that they covered the original mosaics, not that I thought it was such a bad design. The cement block tile had a nice fresh look to it, and liked the color accent areas where the station signage went. If it had been used as "original" tile, such as if they built the 1970's 2nd Ave subway's stations with that design, I definitely would have approved, as it would have reflected the times in which the stations were built (such as all the stations do from the IND to the IRT reflect the period they were built).
That being said, it was really stupid that they covered over the old mosaics, and thankfully they had removed quite a bit of it to restore the old tiles.

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.