www.nycsubway.org

So, I rode RiverLine and PATCO today (702784)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ Next in Thread ]

Posted by Basman on Thu May 6 12:31:03 2004

yeah...it was pretty frustrating.

I heard about transfers between the PATCO and Riverline...so, I went to 8th/Market station...didn't see a thing about it. So, I just bought the cheapest ticket, looking at the map to see if I could find the Walter Transportation Center...I didn't see the name.

I looked, and looked - I knew it was just across the river, and saw the "Broadway" was a transfer point. I wasn't sure, but there was no one in the kiosk to as, so, I took the train over there. (annoying how you have to use change, though).

One important thing to not - they need new cars...BADLY. Those things are SCREAMING 70's...the colors, the shapes of everything, the lack of cab (okay, so they have a dividing wall and curtain...how safe!

So, I get off the train at "Broadway" and find my way to the platform upstairs. Please note that this is the first time I've EVER ridden NJT (except the Corridor Line from Trenton). I had no idea where to get the LRT. There were no signs anywhere, and I didn't want to go out and see that I had wasted my money and gotten off at the wrong stop. So, I just decided to go out in frustration, and found the tracks right next to the building.

I go and buy my ticket...also frustrating. Fast fare - one way ticket. I got out of that menu, and then tried to go through the prompts. Apparently, there is no such thing as a round trip ticket in this area. So, I got a 1 way, then bought a 1 way transfer, and validated the 1 way ticket - I'm glad I didn't validate the other...

So, I wait and wait, then look at the schedule - it would be like a half hour before it came (20 minutes, actually). I was rather irritated, for it was getting late and I needed to get back home before the last Dorado left (the Dorado is SEPTA's 95). I also realized that service was half hourly ALL DAY LONG, including peak service hours...really doesn't get that much ridership, does it? Well, apparently it should, according the the 2 car train that was ding dinging as it pulled into the station.

Now, for the nice points. The vehicles were much quieter than I expected, although you couldn't pass through the middle section. The seats were nice and highbacked, but I don't really like the head support - it was kinda uncomfortable, although it's great to know I had headsupport if the train was ever rearended.

The ride was...slow and unimpressive. I guess it's better going up to Trenton, but, well, i dind't have that kind of time. In fact, my train pulled into the terminal, but the next one wouldn't be leaving for 20 minutes. Heck, I didn't feel like waiting, so I just walked back, following the lines, hoping to catch a bus somewhere...

I got back to PATCO at City Hall, and took it back across the river, it's a nice ride...but undergound all the way, except the bridge.

Anyway, I was kinda in a sour mood from NJT...but I had some chocolate milk to cheer me up a bit....more details on the fan trip stuff on bustalk...let's say I was bitter from lack of visible bus stops.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.