www.nycsubway.org

Re: (Straying into off-topicness...) Re: HBLR railfanning => police action. Personal impressions (701003)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by GP38 Chris on Mon May 3 07:48:51 2004, in response to Re: (Straying into off-topicness...) Re: HBLR railfanning => police action. Personal impressions,
posted by R62A #1979 on Sun May 2 18:30:02 2004.

Sorry to say it fellas but photography of buses and subways has been ILLEGAL since 9-11.

Sorry, the official MTA website says it is legal as long as you don't use tripod or flash or other extra equipment. It's stated in print. As for buses, I have never taken a photo of a bus because I really don't have any interest in them, however.... I can understand if somehow they decided you couldn't take subway photos on subway property (totally hypothetical, as again, the MTA says it's legal on their website). However, I can not see the same for buses. If you are on a PUBLIC street, I can see nothing the MTA can do to stop you from taking a photo of a bus (not that I have any desire to do so). So hypothetically, even if what you said was true that it was illegal to take photos of subway or buses, the bus one defintiely can't hold up.

But some states have different policies than others and I assume that NJT (New Jersey) has what's called a Zero Tolerance Policy on photography in their system which basically means no photography is allowed under any circumstances.

Just to add, for PATH, etc...I have taken rail photogrphy photos since around 1989. So while it is illegal to photograph on PATH, it has NOTHING at all to do with 9/11. It was already illegal on PATH long before 9/11/01, it was already illegal there when I first took up rail photography.

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.