www.nycsubway.org

Re: south 4th street SAS station (694713)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by The Eggman on Wed Apr 21 22:43:17 2004, in response to Re: south 4th street SAS station,
posted by GP38 Chris on Thu Apr 15 10:02:59 2004.

From what I remember from my visit, this photo was taken from one of the S4th platforms. If one were to shimmy down the roughed-in stairway, then hang a sharp left in the passageway below, you would be heading toward a door. Unlock that door, and you're on the North end of the Northbound G platform. Both G platforms have false walls at the North end; about a third of S4 extends N of the G platform limits.

As to that really wide stairway - I saw the underneath of that stairway just South of and at the same level as the S4 platforms. In other words, it seems as if S4 and the G mezzanine are on the same level.

I wonder if there was supposed to be some kind of head house for fare control or something. Several blocks North of Broadway in this area are either vacant or represent relatively recent (30 yrs or newer) construction. Perhaps full realization of the Second System at S4 would have required surface facilities? Maybe part of the station/mezzanine is the basement of the precinct house?

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.