www.nycsubway.org

Re: Railroad.net forum (only sort-of on topic) (692919)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by SelkirkTMO on Sun Apr 18 07:42:03 2004, in response to Re: Railroad.net forum (only sort-of on topic),
posted by GP38 Chris on Sun Apr 18 06:55:19 2004.

Don't be ... I agree completely ... I get honked off over things myself ... and WAY too often lately. But the WORDS *are* an issue to our lawgivers. It all started with Ashcroft and his blue curtain and now Powell's little Colin at the FCC ... one almost feels compelled to blurt the words as a patriotic duty ...

Oh, if only our fellow citizens could just ignore the words ... they cease to have meaning when they no longer offend. I suspect that's where AEM was coming from whether maturely or not. But given the realities, and the great McCarthy-like wave of censorship (I can just imagine the expansion of government required to create a "Hayes board" for the internet) the words used could be harmful to this site (and is probably the reason why the mods at railroad.net blew a shoe fuse in the FIRST place) ...

Under the current interpretations by Powell's little Colin, broadcasters are being slapped with MULTIPLE fines. What's to stop these same people (citing the "Communications Act" which CAN be extended to the "internet") from coming down on Dave or any other webmaster for the CONTENT and WORD CHOICES of those who would use it.

A lot of folks don't remember the old "BBS days" which used modems before the "Al Gorenet" ... ***I*** was prosecuted by New York State for running a BBS where folks were free to express themselves in any ways or words they saw fit, WITHOUT censorship. The STATE OF NEW YORK came AFTER me for it, citing federal law for obscenity on the TELEPHONE via modem! No joke ... That's the reason why I'm so passionate about so many "Taliban" leadings of our lawgivers and "regime" ...

But agreed, the ravings were over the top ... then so are mine. That's why *I* rant so much about politicians being FULL of ...

Shaving cream, be nice and clean!
Shave every day, and you'll always look keen. :)

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.