www.nycsubway.org

Re: WMATA Destination Codes (670899)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by john on Sun Mar 7 22:07:44 2004, in response to Re: WMATA Destination Codes,
posted by R6 on Sun Mar 7 19:29:30 2004.

Hm... didn't they run Orange from New Carrollton to National Airport (to prevent overlapping) until Ballston opened? Why didn't they just run Blue and Orange the same until then, and keep running Blue out of NC until Addison Road was built? (with Blue turning back at Nat'l Airport until the line to Huntington was built, then turnback there until the line to Van Dorn Street was opened)

Actually because of the way the destination roll signs were setup on the Rohr cars New Carrollton (D13) bound trains out of National Airport (C10) were Orange and National Airport (C10) bound trains out of New Carrollton (D13) were Blue. In other words trains to Virginia were Blue line, trains to Maryland were Orange. If I recall my history right 12 01 1979 the Orange line trains to Virginia were shifted from National Airport (C10) on the C Route to the K route to Ballston (K03). Addison Road (G03) opened less the a year latter on 12 22 1980. I don’t recall during the time between 12 01 1979 and 12 22 1980 if the Blue line was cut back to Stadium-Armory (D08) I do know that two weeks prior 12 22 1980 trains were run to Addison Road (G03) during the per opening scheduled shake down runs that is standard WMATA practice before opening every new segment.

John

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.