www.nycsubway.org

Re: The Green R-10 Car List & Miscellany (Re: R10 Questions) (572821)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Grounded Shoe Beam on Fri Sep 26 16:14:46 2003, in response to The Green R-10 Car List & Miscellany (Re: R10 Questions),
posted by William A. Padron on Wed Sep 24 17:20:52 2003.

3210 did not have GE parts. It had a WH master controller, and unit switch boxes with a 2CY. It was the only R10 I can remember in the late 80s to have dark blueish gray door panels instead of the light gray or orange panels. Somewhere I have a slide of it, inside the cab and out at Pitkin Yard and subsequently SBK. I remember that car in service sometime in 1985 shortly before I was hired on the CC. The GE cars made a loud clunking when the controllers ran up, the WH cars had short pulses of muffled air as each unit switch closed. 3210 was pure WH unit switch. The designation WABCO A-1 refers to the brake's operating units comprising of the application, release, emergency and variable load valves, ME42 is the car's brake valve in the cab. A-1 was used on R10-R36, PATH K cars etc. WABCO E1S found on pre-goh R38-42 etc and I think WE-2 or 3 is on R44s. According to my notes compiled for the repair books for 6398, the 2CY was discontinued in December 1968 with repair parts available. The 3YC was the politically correct name after as these links show. Sorry about the size, it took me enough energy to find them.
2CY
3YC
The Green R10s with rotary screw compressors kept their original Me42 brake valves, unlike the redbird GOHs which got a sort of ME42A NYAB rebuild with microswitches on some and WABCO rebuilds on others. I noticed before I left transit quite a few R32s running on redbird valves. On the ME42 valves, maybe one of the Branford guys can elaborate they had two types, one with a cast iron valve body and another made of aluminum. Worked alot better than the Halon Fire Extinguisher experiment in that R30.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.