www.nycsubway.org

Re: R10 Questions (570187)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by Grounded Shoe Beam on Tue Sep 23 02:04:05 2003, in response to Re: R10 Questions,
posted by William A. Padron on Mon Sep 22 18:03:30 2003.

The NYAB rotary screw compressors were annoyances when the automatic drain valves spit out moisture and they for some reason leaked air all the time when the governors were in shutdown, all of them on the R10s and R68s leaked when off. The GE R10's 2CY compressors ran slower then those on the R16-36 cars, they had smaller drive pulleys than newer models, including single cars R16-22. I would have figured they would have faster driven pumps for married cars but thats how they were. All of the rotaries were pulled off the R10s including the last fantrip cars at Coney Island Yard only to be junked at the air brake shop. The R68s now carry Knorrs on the ones delivered with NYAB rotary screws, and Wabco D4s on the rest.
R10 2CY
R10 NYAB
R68 NYAB
The air compressor on the R10 at Pitkin Yard during my first refresher course back around 1989 was operable. I'd hate to see what the oil looks like in there today. I recall over the years of service a few "experiments", one particular green R10 with cast iron brake shoes and another which kept it's 2CY even after joining the green parades. I think even after the bulletins and mods those wheels were not meant to be round.

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.