www.nycsubway.org

Re: R10 Questions (569852)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread | Next in Thread ]

Posted by William A. Padron on Mon Sep 22 18:03:30 2003, in response to Re: R10 Questions,
posted by Far Rockaway A Train on Mon Sep 22 17:44:26 2003.

Before the GOH of the Westinghouse R-10's, the sounds between them and their sister General Electric units were virtually identical, especially with the very same air compressors. For those railfans who were on the March of Dimes fantrips riding in IRT R-12 car #5760, I am sure they know what they sounded like in use. But after the GOH process on the Westinghouse units only, the green cars each were eventually given a rotary screw compressor, which sounded on most of them like the two soles of your good shoes being rubbed on the surface of a hard floor or sidewalk.

Even the R-68's had that same type of rotary screw compressor sound in the beginning, before that fleet had a major changeover to a better compressor a few years ago. I heard a story that restored R.P.C.-owned "museum" car #3184 now has an air compressor that was salvaged off from an R-27/30, while R.C.I. Yard office car #3189 at Pitkin Yard still has its original one intact.

-William A. Padron
["Fulton-Lefferts Blvd."]

Responses

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.