www.nycsubway.org

Litigation avoidance Re: Proof that the Lex can’t support more than 28 tph (506474)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by AlM on Wed Jun 4 06:58:50 2003, in response to Re: Proof that the Lex can’t support more than 28 tph,
posted by Stephen Bauman on Sat May 31 09:32:32 2003.

One problem is T/O indifference. There is a speed restriction around 1500 feet south of Union Square due to a curve. In order to maximize service levels trains should quickly leave Union Sq. This means that the operators should creep until the moving platforms clear then wrap it up until the train reaches the speed restriction and then slow down. They don't wrap it up (or the trains do not respond). Instead they speed up only to the curve speed restriction after the moving platforms retract. That's the reason for the extra 15 seconds.

I just took a look again. There is a 25 mph speed restriction immediately after leaving Union Square, as well as the 20 mph restriction later. There are curves mid-platform (15th St), just after leaving (between 13th and 14th) and after about 1500' (9th St). By the time the rear of the train clears the curve between 13th and 14th, the front is getting close to the speed restriction for the 9th St curve.

Is this first 25 mph restriction necessary for safety? I don't know, though my gut feel is it's an overreaction. But in any case, it's not T/O indifference because they are specifically instructed not to go full speed. It looks more like NYCT fear of litigation to me, a phenomenon that wasn't around as much 30 years ago.

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.