www.nycsubway.org

Re: Proof that the Lex can’t support more than 28 tph (505178)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by AlM on Mon Jun 2 07:13:03 2003, in response to Re: Proof that the Lex can’t support more than 28 tph,
posted by David Fairthorne on Sun Jun 1 22:19:27 2003.

Some trains moved slowly into the station, and you attribute the fast moving by the remainder to the skill of their T/Os. But if any of those slow moving trains were running early, could the T/Os have been right to go slowly and/or linger in the station? Or is the rule to keep moving as fast as possible, regardless of whether you are late or early?

You may be right. My main observation was that 5 T/Os were obviously trying hard to get into the station as fast as they were allowed to, and their times were bunched up between 80 and 87 seconds. This leads me to believe that 80 is near the minimum.

It seems significant that in a sample of ten trains, several were delayed by "unfavorable events", all resulting in the doors not being closed soon enough. Variable numbers of boarding passengers are clearly a big factor.

Definitely, but not as big a factor as I would have expected. Random events played as big a role as platform crowding.

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.