www.nycsubway.org

Re: Astoria Peak Hour headways (305000)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by Wannabe1 on Wed Jan 2 15:44:37 2002, in response to Re: Astoria Peak Hour headways,
posted by Stephen Bauman on Wed Jan 2 12:39:22 2002.

>Archer opened 12/11/88. The data was taken in October 1989 - 10 >months later.

Maybe it was stubborness or maybe the bus plaza was not ready but the E to Archer was dead into the 1990's past 71st then one day it was holy cow this train is packed.

>The data show that there was equal demand for the E and F. The >unequal load levels are due to unequal service levels. You will note >that the service levels and load levels are equal in my proposal.

Those numbers are still do not reflect a big shift from the F to the E.

>However, you are saying is that local out of Forest Hills serves as >a feeder to the express at Roosevelt, even if that local goes into >Manhattan.
That became more true when you could transfer at 53 before that time fewer people transfered

>Such ingrained passenger behavior does not bode well for the V's >success and the $650 million dollar gamble that made it possible.
Who know but certainly to declare a line a failure in the first month is not prudent. OTHO the 53/51 connection took off like a rocket many Queens residents can't remember before it was available. I used it before it was official I had a school train pass. Maybe 3 people would use it and pay the extra fare. I found it saved on the average almost zero time 3-4 times a week I caught the 6 I would have caught anyway. I took it because I was fast up the escalator and I hated the crowds at 59th.
The V will likely attract many of the G riders to the last two cars for the Ely Ave transfer which will be empty becasue everyone loves those first two cars near the escaltors at 53lex.

>It also means that continuation of the local past Roosevelt to >either Manhattan or Brooklyn is a waste for a majority of its >passengers.
This is the point of the V. People want the 53/51 connection now they can get it without a transfer.

>This suggests that a more economical use of resources >would be to >run shuttles from Forest Hills to either Court Sq or >Roosevelt Ave, >instead of a full length route into Manhattan.
It's called the G. There too, more riders are on the G pulling into Roosevelt then are at Queens Plaza

>I used it merely as a source of raw data.
The raw data inflated the importance of the F and did not take into account the importance of the R and G. It failed to consider that people use the R to get to the F and that ridership patterns were changing.

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.