www.nycsubway.org

Re: Model Train Holiday Display at Citicorp Bldg (290205)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by Keystone Pete on Thu Dec 6 11:07:13 2001, in response to Model Train Holiday Display at Citicorp Bldg,
posted by subway grrl on Thu Dec 6 07:28:48 2001.

Yeah, I did post about this a few days prior to its opening.

I too was impressed with the little drive-in movie display too. Must be the same technology they use on those airplane seat-back personal video screens. The picture is very clear, so it must be DVD.

I work in the building, and I look forward to the display every year. Last year, Citigroup did not renew the contract for the display. There's still some gossip about whether this was an oversight or a deliberate snub. Rumor has it that the CEO is averse to the "shopping mall" aspect of Citi's flagship tower (incidentally, NOT its headquarters, however.) Apparently, according to one of the "Station" volunteers, many an influential stockholder complained about its absence last year, which may explain why it's back. Or maybe the building's owner, Boston Properties, had different ideas about what to do with their public space.

I believe the display was in Chicago last year, but I don't know how much the layout was altered for the new city. I doubt much, since it's much as I remembered it from 2 years ago.

When I went down for a visit last week, the trolley which usually plies a long trestle on the "Weehawken" (sp?) side was not running. I joked with the attendant there ought to be little workmen on the display ripping up the track, with a large sign in the background reading,

PLEASE PARDON OUR APPEARANCE
COMING SOON!
TRANSIT IMPROVEMENTS

TROLLEY SERVICE TO BE REPLACED
BY BUS SERVICE

Brought to You In the Name of Progress
By
The General Motors Corporation
The Firestone Tire and Rubber Corporation
Standar Oil

and
Robert Moses, Commissioner

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.