www.nycsubway.org

Re: Model Railroad El Structures (Was Re: NYC Model Subway Cars In Ho-Scale) (27949)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by Mellow One on Sat Mar 6 00:48:12 1999, in response to Re: Model Railroad El Structures (Was Re: NYC Model Subway Cars In Ho-Scale),
posted by Frank Gatazka on Fri Mar 5 21:27:51 1999.

Back in the 80's I purchased a closeout lot of HO AHM old-time passenger cars, that look similar to El Gate cars. I was considering using spud units to power the cars. Although I had not planned to use steam, a good kitbasher could fabricate inexpensive Forney type locomotives from 040 chassis. I assume that you want to model something other than a 2 foot diorama.
I had plans to build an elevated structure from the Plastistruct shapes available at the time. I still have a roll of double/xover tie stip that was to be used for the two track section. I was going to use code 100 flex track and snap track and switches for the railway. I was not sure what I was going to do to model a non-operating 3rd rail. A lower code rail was my best bet at the time. Although, I had not tackled the clearance question.
The fabrication was a monumental task and I was always searching for quicker and cheaper alternatives for the structure. Has anyone found any good inexpensive (HO) elevated structure material to date? Modeling a concrete structure like the Rockaway structure is fairly easy and inexpensive to do. However, when you want to model the older steel plate girder or latice work structures, you really have a task ahead of you, not to mention rivet detail and a decent looking and functional upright column. I never really solved the problem of curves. I am sure that the actual el builders were not too comfortable with constructing the curves on the original structures.
I have pictures of the Contes slip curve that show numerouss replaced or replacement rails for the curve. There are probably a few curves on the current elevated structures that give the maintence people ulcers.

So, maybe if still you want pursue this quest, I believe that the old-time passenger cars are available from Bachman. Structure components are still up in the air.

Good luck.

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.