www.nycsubway.org

Re: 76th Street IND Station (246790)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by William A. Padron on Fri Aug 3 14:00:43 2001, in response to Re: 76th Street IND Station,
posted by Bill Newkirk on Thu Aug 2 11:39:43 2001.

Well, this past Tuesday, July 31, 2001, I myself actually went to the location and area where the 76th Street-Pitkin Avenue IND station might have been planned and located. I surveyed the sidewalks and building property lines at that site, and I could not see any real physical evidence that a station (less alone an entrance or sidewalk grating) may have been built.

For one thing, the four sidewalk corners at 76th Street and Pitkin Avenue are too narrow at best, and there are private homes each located on its corner. I inspected the manhole covers, and they all seem to say "NYC SEWER". The nearest subway grating was on Pitkin Avenue near Grant Avenue (nearby that IND "A" line station).

If you wish to check out the area yourself, you may do so by taking the "A" train to Grant Avenue station, and walk east on Pitkin Avenue as it goes downhill, perhaps to trace the possible route it was planned to be. Please note that the 77th Street exit of the 80th Street-Hudson Street station in Queens has a part-time booth only open between 6:20am and 9:20am weekdays.

-William A. Padron

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.