www.nycsubway.org

Re: Where does "Upstate New York" begin? (219131)

[ Read Responses | Post a New Response | Return to the Index ]
[ First in Thread ]

Posted by Eric B on Thu May 10 08:06:20 2001, in response to Re: Where does "Upstate New York" begin?,
posted by BMTJeff on Tue May 8 22:52:23 2001.

Yeah, this is a relative term. Basically, since the bulk of the state is far to the north of the "Lower Hudson Valley" (where the straight NY/PA tuens south), then this whole triangular shaped area is "downstate". But when we used to go camping in Orange Co., or top Bear Mtn, etc. we called it "upstate", because it is "up" on a map from us. This area is right across the river and Tappan-Zee Bridge from northern Westchester, so that gets called "Westchester" also. (one of the guys we were posting with is from Hartsdale, and called that "upstate".
Yonkers, New Rochelle, Mt. Vernon, and the Pelhams are efinitely too close to NY, and too linked to the Bronx and transit, and too urban to be considered "upstate" in any view. I was in Tuckahoe last week, and that seems like borderline in its atmosphere, and I guess the Scarsdale area would be the same. The Elmsford area and Hartsdale, as I just mentioned, get called "upstate" a lot. White Plains, in the same area seems to urban to be called upstate, though. (Albany is bigger, but White Plains is still very connected to the NYC area. Anything past that can safely be called "upstate", as it is very similar to the Catskill area-- alot of woods, camps, small towns, etc. But once again, from further up, it is still all going to be seen as "downstate".
It seems kind of hard to picture Buffalo as "upstate" because it is so much more West than north of here. So that's more like "overstate" or "outerstate". "Upstate-Downstate" seems to apply more to the Hudson river corridor.

(There are no responses to this message.)

Replying to posts on SubTalk are disabled at this time.